Sunday, February 9, 2014

No Pain No Gain, Right?

A few days after my first two races in Canada, I was off to my next races in Copper Mountain, Colorado.  With strong adrenaline from not doing as well as I hoped in Canada, I was determined to bring it at Copper.  Unfortunately, during the first day of training, I took a crash on a berm into the B-netting, and sprained my previously injured ankle again, as well as my achilles in the same ankle.  It has been very difficult for me, mentally, to wrap my mind around another injury.  But being my normal, stubborn self, I would not let another injury keep me from racing.  No pain no gain, right? I took the following day off of training to rest my ankle, and fought through the pain to complete a run during both competition days.  I went into these races, not with a goal of winning, but simply with a goal of fighting through the pain of my ankle, and doing the best I possibly could, even if it was just to make it down the course, slowly, without falling.  The first day of races, that is exactly how I did. I placed towards the end of the pack, but was grateful to finish, because I was in horrible pain the whole day.  I couldn't even walk, but I somehow managed to snowboard? Yes, I am crazy.  The second day I was much more satisfied.  I placed 20th, out of 38 athletes.  On a swollen, torn ankle, I would say this is decent.  With a little more than a week until my next race, I plan to rest my ankle, and stay off of it as much as possible, so I WILL place highly and qualify for Junior Worlds in Italy, my ultimate goal of the season.
prepping my race board!

pre-race selfie

the sprained ankle

Two of my favorite teammates,  Roger and Nick

Having fun at the airport, being my normal, goofy self!

1 comment: