Monday, November 21, 2016

Mind Does Matter

I stumbled across an article today and it really hit home to me.  As a former professional athlete, I can say I have had my fair share of injuries.  I have broken my wrists countless times, fractured my hip and pelvis, fractured my L5 in my back, tore my labrum in my hip, sprained my ankle (oh gosh I don't even want to know how many times), and of course have had a LOT of concussions. Injuries are something that almost go along with being an athlete. In the scholarly article that I read, it talks about the psychological effect of an ankle injury in sports.  I think this article can be related to all types of injuries, not just ankle injuries.

"The most common reactions to the injury were fear, pain, shock, misadventure, frustration, disappointment and hope," (Mittly, 2016). This article analyzes a study that was done to determine how much the mind plays a role in injury.  The results of the study were no surprise to me... "Results confirm our previous hypothesis, that for the earliest return to play injured athletes need psychological rehabilitation and they require psychological interventions as well as social support in the post-injury period. The team physicians and coaches should acquire communication skills, motivational methods and relaxation techniques to enhance support," (Mittly, 2016).


I could not agree with this more, that mind really does matter when it comes to injuries.  In my previous injuries, I admit my mind always took over.  I not only was so fearful to reinjure myself, but I was so frustrated that I had to take time off from my sport.  I was also always extremely disappointed in myself for not being in the right shape to avoid injury. I think it is very important for all athletes to seek psychological help when they get injured, not just rehabilitation for that injury. The mind is capable of many things, even if you do not even realize it.  


As someone with a psychology major and a former professional athlete, focus on your mind and everything else will come into place.


Check out this article! It is very interesting


http://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/mind-does-matter-the-psychological-effect-of-ankle-injury-in-sport-2161-0487-1000278.php?aid=78648




3 comments:

  1. Brooke,

    Great post on your blog about how our minds play a major role in getting over injuries. I think your story is fascinating how you were aspiring to be a professional snowboarder. It sounds like you had a lot of success boarding. I myself ski, but I started out attempting to snowboard. While I was stationed in the Air Force in California, I lived 2 hours from Lake Tahoe. Active duty military received free lift tickets to Squaw Valley and this is where a tried to learn snowboarding. This was probably not the best place to learn how to snowboard as the green runs there were like black diamonds in Michigan. I am so glad I switched to skiing as it came more natural to me and I really enjoy it. Good luck in the rest of your college career and whatever else life brings you.


    Lance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,
    This was a very interesting article and it made me think of my 11 year old daughter. She was very passionate about ice skating and went to our local ice rink as often as she could. She ended up falling one time and now she is scared to death to go back. She wants to pursue other sports that do not involve ice skates. I don't blame her because her wrist really hurt but it is a shame that she doesn't participate in something she loved so much.
    Best wishes to you,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete