Sunday, July 1, 2012

2011-2012 Season Recap

My snowboarding career was not going to go much further if I continued living in Michigan.  I lacked the courses, training, coaching, and experience, that my competitors had.  I have known Jon Casson, the head coach at SSWSC, for a while, and after thinking through what I needed to do, training with his team, full-time, was the best option for me.  I chose to do online classes, through Romeo High School, and move out to Steamboat, Colorado, with my mom.  I can honestly say this was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. Though I gave up a lot, including my senior year, other sports, and leaving not only my family, but my friends, I had the time of my life in Colorado.  I went from snowboarding maybe once a week, usually only when I compete, to every day.  I rode with professional athletes, and learned more then I could even imagine.  The beginning of the season was rough.  I was not doing as well as I hoped. I wasn't qualifying top 16, to be able to race, and it was very frustrating.  But by the end of the season, I finally was able to do this, and all my negative emotions were worth it.  I not only improved as a snowboarder, but as a person.  I learned how to deal with the mental aspects that comes along with competing.  I was very proud of myself this season.  I improved so much, and gained a lot more confidence.  Being my first year in this level of competition, I can honestly say I am impressed with myself.  With more experience, and training under my belt, I cannot wait to see what next year has in store for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment